It’s hump day, y’all, so let’s get you over that mid-week hurdle with a brain-awakening game of Wordle. Of course, if you’re here, you’ve likely got a start on the puzzle already, and are needing a little help. Well, no wonder, because unlike yesterday’s answer being something we do everyday without even trying, today’s word is a little less common – though you’ll still most likely have used it a few times in your life. So, look no further, let’s get going with some hints and the big reveal for today’s Wordle answer for puzzle 333, May 18, 2022.
What is Wordle?
If you’re new to Wordle, we can’t blame you for trying to avoid the addictive puzzle game. And a massive congratulations on doing so for this long. However, you’ve joined the cult, and we’re here to welcome you in with open arms.
Wordle is a daily word puzzle, now operated by The New York Times after it’s purchase of the game from original creator Josh Wardle (hence the name). In Wordle, you have six attempts to guess a randomly-selected five-letter word.
- Letters that you guess which don’t appear in the word appear in grey.
- Correctly guessed letters that are in the wrong place appear in yellow.
- And right letters in the right place show in green.
It’s as simple as it sounds, really. Well, on paper. If you get on well with it and fancy a few more daily challenges, then other people have jumped on the bandwagon to create a bunch of Wordle alternatives, too. Try Heardle if you’re a music fan, or Moviedle for films. Don’t worry, that questionable title doesn’t match the quality of the puzzle.
Wordle hints May 18, 2022
General Wordle hints
- Try to squeeze as many vowels out of your first guess as you can (We love editor Will‘s word – Ouija).
- For probability’s sake, guess the most common consonants first, for example S, R, L, T and N.
- Don’t forget, the letters that you can eliminate in each guess are almost as important as those in green or yellow.
Specific hints for today’s Wordle answer
- Two vowels appear in today’s Wordle answer, and next to one another.
- Two of the remaining consonants are apparently the two most-common consonants in five-letter words.
- You fifth and final letter is C, the first letter in the word “clean” (that’s a twofer).
Today’s Wordle answer, May 18, 2022
For today’s spoiler-warning image, let this little fella get you through “hump” day, and to the Wordle answer below if you still need it.
Today’s Wordle answer is… SCOUR. Kind of similar to Monday’s word, “delve”, actually, as both might be used to describe a way of looking for something. While delve, though, is more of a physical action, scour would be better used to describe the act of looking – like how you might have scoured this page for clues, bypassing my terribly unfunny copy. Scour also has another, completely different meaning, too. To scour something can also mean to clean something, often with an abrasive.
Don’t forget to come back tomorrow for even more Wordle hints and answers. We provide you with the best daily hints to help you get the answer without spelling it out for you. Of course, we do also spell it out for you, but still. If you want more general help then check out our Wordle tips, Starting words, and hints page for the best starts to help you master the game.