Satisfy your sweet cravings with the iconic s’mores rice krispie treats. It’s the taste of camping, without the campfire!
Nothing screams nostalgia quite like the combination of marshmallow, cereal, and chocolate found in s’mores rice krispie treats. A dessert that tugs at the heartstrings of many, this delightful treat manages to embody the joy of childhood and the sophistication of a well-thought-out dessert. The soft gooeyness of the marshmallow contrasts with the crispy cereal, while chocolate ties it all together. It’s an adventure of textures and flavors that’s perfect for any occasion.
Looking to cater to specific dietary needs? Here are some adjustments you can make:
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free cereals to ensure the treat is safe for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Low-Sugar: Opt for unsweetened or reduced-sugar cereals, and consider using dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
Every recipe can have its moments, and here’s how to navigate them:
- Marshmallow too hard? Make sure to melt the marshmallows over low heat to avoid overcooking. If it does get hard, adding a bit of butter or heating it for a few seconds in the microwave might help.
- Mixture not sticking? The ratio of marshmallow to cereal is crucial. If the mixture isn’t cohesive, consider adding a touch more melted marshmallow.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Feel free to experiment with other cereals, but note that the texture and taste will vary.
Whether you prefer milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate, it’s up to you!
Refined coconut oil or a plant-based butter substitute can be used for a dairy free alternative.
Tips From the Chef
- Always melt your marshmallows over low heat to avoid burning.
- To make pressing the mixture into the pan easier, wet your hands or use parchment paper.
- For an even richer flavor, try toasting the cereals slightly before mixing.
To keep your s’mores rice krispie treats fresh, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. If you’re thinking of freezing them, wrap individual squares in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer-safe container. They can be stored frozen for up to a month. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw at room temperature.
For that fresh-out-of-the-pan experience, microwave a treat for a few seconds, but be cautious, as they can become very hot.