When it comes to comfort food, there’s nothing better than a cozy, warming bowl of Crockpot chicken and rice soup.
This healthy and hearty soul-soothing soup is filled with tender chicken, veggies, herbs, and rice in a savory broth.
Perfect as a midweek dinner or an easy weekend crowd-pleaser!
Homestyle Chicken and Rice Soup
This soup is a slow cooker version of our favorite chicken rice soup recipe, a perfect meal to come home to!
- Minimal prep time makes it perfect for those hectic weekdays.
- It’s packed full of nutritious ingredients, making it a healthy choice.
- Prep chicken and rice soup in the Crockpot before work and come home to a heartwarming dinner.
- Budget-friendly option, perfect for big families or larger get-togethers.
- Kids & adults alike love the mild flavor of chicken and rice soup, soothing for upset bellies and sniffly noses.
- The comforting and familiar flavors in this recipe are guaranteed to warm you from the inside out.
Ingredients and Variations
Make it and serve it all week, chicken and rice soup tastes even better the next day!
Chicken breasts: The great thing about this recipe is that the chicken goes in raw so it’s easy to prepare. We use chicken breasts but you can substitute with chicken thighs in place. If using leftover cooked chicken, it should be added along with the rice so it doesn’t overcook.
Vegetables: Onion and celery add great flavor to the broth. Feel free to add more veggies if you’d like.
PRO TIP: Short on time? Just toss in a frozen bag of vegetable medley!
Chicken broth: This is the base of the soup. If you have homemade broth, that would work perfectly, too.
Rice – Instant rice cooks quickly and is great in this soup. Our tests didn’t have optimal results with regular white rice. If you’d like to use other varieties of rice (white, brown, or wild), it should be cooked on the side and added to the soup.
How to Make Chicken and Rice Soup in a Crockpot
- Saute onion in butter until tender & place in the bottom of the Crockpot (per the full recipe below).
- Add remaining ingredients (except rice & parsley), cover, & cook for 3-4 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high.
- Remove & shred chicken & add it back to the Crockpot along with instant rice.
- Cook until rice is tender & garnish with parsley before serving.
Storing Chicken & Rice Soup
- Keep chicken and rice soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks and thaw in the refrigerator overnight or in the crockpot on low.
Did your family enjoy this Crockpot Chicken and Rice Soup? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Crockpot Chicken and Rice Soup
This Crockpot Chicken and Rice Soup is a cozy and comforting one-pot dish!
In a small skillet, cook the onion and butter over medium heat just until tender. Add to a 6-quart slow cooker .
Add the chicken breasts, celery, carrots, minced garlic, poultry seasoning, soy sauce, black pepper, bay leaf, and chicken broth to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or 2-3 hours on high.
Remove chicken from the slow cooker to a large bowl and shred with two forks. If desired, use a mesh strainer or spoon to skim any foam from the top of the soup.
Discard the bay leaf and return the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker along with the instant rice.
Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Stir in fresh parsley, season with salt to taste and serve.
We have tested this with other varieties of rice, including long-grain white rice. The results can be inconsistent so we recommend instant rice. If you would like to use long grain rice, cook it separately and add the rice to the soup along with the chicken. Let it heat through in the soup for 15 minutes.
If you plan to keep leftovers, the rice can be cooked on the side and added to each bowl. If leftovers with rice are stored in the fridge, the rice will absorb the broth and the consistency of the soup will change.
Leftover chicken and rice soup can be kept in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Calories: 419 | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 1259mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8139IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.