This Green Bean Casserole recipe is a classic holiday side dish that needs just a few minutes of prep and can be made with fresh, frozen, or canned green beans.
Tender green beans and crispy fried onions are tossed in a shortcut creamy mushroom sauce. Top this casserole with more crispy onions and bake until golden and bubbly.
This is the perfect side dish to serve along with your roast turkey for the perfect meal!
A Classic Holiday Casserole
I love green bean casserole, it reminds me of holidays from my childhood. This is a version of Campbell’s green bean casserole developed by Dorcas Reilley in the test kitchen (although I do love my from-scratch version too)!
- This dish needs only 5 minutes of prep time making this the easiest side dish ever.
- Can be made ahead of time, placed in a baking dish, and baked just before serving.
- Top with crispy onions or even a Panko mixed with butter and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- It’s perfect as a Thanksgiving side dish, for Easter or Christmas dinner but it’s also great alongside Sunday supper too.
Ingredients in Green Bean Casserole
Green Beans – For this recipe, you can use fresh, frozen, or canned.
Canned green beans are softer but are easy to use because they require no prep. Simply drain and enjoy.
Frozen green beans require no cutting and have a tender-crisp texture. You can skip cooking frozen green beans but I prefer the texture if they’ve been cooked in boiling water for about 5 minutes (and you’ll need a bit more salt).
Like frozen, fresh green beans have a tender-crisp texture and a fresher flavor. Simmer for 8 minutes.
Sauce – Using a can of condensed mushroom soup is what makes this recipe so easy (and is the base of the creamy mushroom sauce). Any “cream of” soup will work just fine in this recipe or you can use homemade condensed mushroom soup or chicken soup!
Crispy Fried Onions – Crispy Fried Onions (or french fried onions) are essential to this recipe (so much that it’s even sometimes called French’s Green Bean Casserole)!
If you’ve never had them, these onions are delish and great on all kinds of casseroles, burgers, and more! They’re added both in and on this casserole!
- I love to add cheddar cheese to this recipe (optional of course!), it melts into the sauce making it extra yummy.
- Make your own homemade mushroom cream sauce instead of canned and/or swap out the onions for fried shallots.
- Add minced cloves of garlic cooked in butter, some roasted garlic, or a dash of garlic powder.
- Simmer the green beans in chicken broth. Reserve the drained chicken broth for making your stuffing!
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
There’s a reason this dish has been around for years, it’s simple. It’s delicious. Perfect in every way.
- Cook Beans: Simmer fresh or frozen green beans. (drain them if they’re canned)
- Mix Sauce: Combine mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper (per recipe below).
- Toss Together: Add the sauce, green beans, some crispy onions, and cheese to a bowl.
- Top & Bake Top the green bean mixture with more crispy onions and bake until golden and bubbly!
How To Prep Ahead of Time
You can make green bean casserole ahead of time.
- Prepare as directed except keep the crispy onion topping in a separate container. I usually place them in a sealed sandwich bag right in the dish and sprinkle on top before baking.
- Refrigerate for up to 48 hours.
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking. If it’s really chilled, you may need to add up to 10 minutes of extra cooking time.
Green bean casserole needs to cook for about 40 minutes at 350°F. Ff your green bean casserole has been in the fridge, you will likely need to add some extra time!
Yes, it can be made up to 48 hours ahead of time. Add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
Yes, this casserole can be frozen. Prepare as directed and freeze before baking. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as directed adding 10 minutes to the baking time.
More Thanksgiving Side Dishes
A turkey dinner wouldn’t be complete without a spread of our favorite side dish recipes!
Did you enjoy this Classic Green Bean Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Classic Green Bean Casserole
Tender green beans are tossed in a delicious creamy sauce, cheese, crispy onions, and baked with even more crispy onions until hot and bubbly.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
If using fresh or frozen green beans, boil just until tender crisp.
Combine soup, green beans, milk, soy sauce, pepper, salt, 1 cup of crispy onions, and cheese (if using) in a casserole dish.
Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or bubbly.
Remove from oven and stir. Top with remaining onions and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until golden.
- drain 2 (14 ½ ounces each) cans of green beans
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and simmered for about 7-8 minutes
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (favorite!)
- fried mushrooms, onions, garlic, and/or shallots
Make Ahead: This casserole can be made up to 48 hours ahead of time. Remove the casserole from the oven for at least 30 minutes before baking. You may need to add 10 minutes of extra cooking time.
Calories: 167 | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 422mg | Potassium: 386mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 6.7mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 0.7mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.