Basic powdered sugar glaze is very simple and wonderful to drizzle over any kind of cake, muffins, breads, cinnamon rolls, waffles or any baked goods where you just want to add a little something extra or a little more sweetness. This is not a frosting or icing. It is a drizzle or glaze. You can also double this recipe or even triple if you want to glaze something large. We have hundreds of DIY, make your own tips on our site like this for you to check out.
Basic Powdered Sugar Glaze Ingredients:
This recipe is so simple but it really is a bakers dream, especially when you just want a great topping without having to make a full frosting. If you have followed our site for any amount of time you know we love this basic powdered sugar glaze.
Here are a few simple tips when making this basic powdered sugar glaze:
- You can add more milk or more sugar to get the consistency you desire. Sometimes we will add more sugar to make it a little thicker so it will stand out more on the cake.
- You can use water to make this glaze but we prefer milk. I have also used whipping cream or heavy cream many times and that works too.
- We use vanilla extract most of the time, but it can tint the glaze, so if you need pure white glaze use clear vanilla flavoring.
- You can use other extracts for other flavors, such as lemon, maple, almond, butter pecan, etc. This is a simple basic recipe and very versatile!
- You could also use your favorite liquor such as bourbon or rum.
The Honey Bun Cake, pictured above is one of our favorites and this glaze takes it to the next level! You may also love this delicious Lemon Cake and these incredible Apple Fritters, both pictured.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Basic Powdered Glaze
This glaze is wonderful over bread, cupcakes, waffles, and super easy to make. Perfect to top cakes or ice cream too!
Servings: 1 cup
- 1 cup white powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk I use 2%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
Put sugar in a bowl and whisk in milk and vanilla extract until mixture is smooth. You can add more or less milk or sugar to get the consistency you want. When I add the vanilla extract, I usually use the clear vanilla extract to keep from darkening the glaze.
You can sift the powdered sugar if you want. I don’t usually do this. I just make sure it is mixed well and smooth with no lumps. I use a pitcher to drizzle the glaze over my baked goods because I think it works better than just pouring. This makes about 1 cup of glaze.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Be sure and pin this Basic Powdered Sugar Glaze:
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.