Bloodhound is one of the first legends introduced in Apex Legends. They are a technological tracker that can hunt down foes using the Eye of the Allfather, which grants players tactical information. Bloodhound is one of the most popular legends in not just casual matches and ranked, but also in competitive esports.
Here’s a breakdown of the character and a guide to how to play the legend effectively.
Bloodhound is known across the Outlands as one of the greatest game hunters the Frontier has ever seen. The child of two engineers stationed at the New Dawn industrial plant on Talos, Bloodhound was taken in by their uncle Artur after a meltdown destroyed the facility and killed both their parents.
Artur taught them the Old Ways, a belief system that focuses on the glory of nature and rejects modern technology. Yet, Bloodhound was constantly drawn to technological marvels, and ultimately used both new and old methods to take down a Goliath that preyed on the people of their village, which put them on a path to the Apex Games.
Apex Legends – Bloodhound’s Abilities
Bloodhound is a Recon legend and shares the same perks as Seer, Valkyrie, Pathfinder, and Bloodhound. The recon passive allows you to access the 12 survey beacons available on the map in any given match to determine the next circle location. Bloodhound’s unparalleled tracking skills are useful to any team they join, helping them root out hidden opponents and track enemy movements.
Tracker – Passive
Bloodhound’s passive ability tracks recent actions by enemies including movement, healing, footsteps, and more. Here is a full list of actions that can be tracked and their corresponding messages and voice lines:
- Footprint: Enemy has passed through here.
- Slide Mark: Enemy has slid through here.
- Mantled: Enemy climbed this ledge.
- Jumped Down/Landed: Enemy dropped from this edge.
- Ziplined: Enemy took this zipline.
- Left Zipline: Enemy dropped from this zipline.
- Door Used: Enemy opened/closed this door.
- Door Destroyed: Enemy destroyed this door.
- Empty Shells: Enemy fired a weapon here.
- Weapon Reloaded: Enemy reloaded a weapon here.
- Killed by [Weapon]: Enemy was killed with [weapon] here.
- Killer with [Weapon]: Enemy got a kill with [weapon] here.
- Grenade Pin: Enemy threw a grenade from here.
- Blood: Enemy took damage here.
- Wound Bandaged: Enemy used a healing item here.
- Severe Bleeding: A downed enemy crawled through here.
- [Ability]: Enemy placed a non-trap ability here.
- Entered Phase: Enemy Wraith phased here.
- Left Phase: Enemy Wraith stopped phasing here.
- Smoke Residue: A Smoke Launcher was fired here.
- Gas Residue: Nox Gas traps or grenades were used here.
- Perimeter Security Destroyed: A Perimeter Security Node was destroyed here.
- Interception Pylon Destroyed: An Interception Pylon was destroyed here.
- Loot Bin Opened: This supply bin was opened.
- [Item] Picked Up: Enemy picked up an item here.
- [Item] Swapped: Enemy swapped their weapon or gear here.
- [Item] Discarded: Enemy dropped an item here.
- Pod Opened: This care package was opened.
Eye of the Allfather – Tactical
Eye of the Allfather briefly reveals enemies, traps, and clues through all structures in front of you. The ability has a 25-second cooldown. In a 125° cone in front of you, all enemies, traps, clues, and loot ticks are tracked and highlighted to you and your allies.
The maximum highlight distance is 75 meters. It also signals how many hostiles are detected. With the max number of detected hostiles being 10, any higher will read as “10+ HOSTILES DETECTED”. Enemies caught in the scan will see ‘SONAR DETECTED’ on their HUD.
Beast of the Hunt – Ultimate
Beast of the hunt enhances your senses, allowing you to see cold tracks and move faster. The ability lasts 30 seconds and ends if you are downed. Downing (not killing) enemies will add 5 to 15 seconds to the Beast of the Hunt timer. The seconds added to the timer depend on the remaining duration of the ability.
Throughout the ultimate, Eye of the Allfather has a short 8-second cooldown and its activation time is also reduced. Your movement speed receives a 30% bonus and all enemies are highlighted in red while the rest of your vision turns black and white.
If you enjoy playing Bloodhound and want to truly master the legend, here are some great tips to help you get the most out of your recon abilities.
Communicate All Tracked Information
Bloodhound is generally the first legend legend in a team to pick up information about nearby enemies. If you’re playing the legend and notice enemy tracks nearby, alert your teammates immediately so they don’t get caught off guard.
Time Your Scans
Avoid using your Tactical ability during fights just because it’s available. One of the best ways to use the ability is when you are ready to push an enemy behind cover or when you can take advantage of the revealed information. Using the ability too early allows enemies to prepare and anticipate your attack.
Turn off Ability-based FOV Scaling
There is a feature that changes your field of view depending on which abilities you’re using. It applies to things like Octane’s Stim and Bloodhound’s ultimate ability. Keeping it turned off is recommended because the increased FOV throws off your aim as things look vastly different than what you’re normally used to.
Position Yourself Tactically
It’s a great idea to use your scan before entering an area to check for nearby enemies. However, your ability radiates in all directions and alerts enemies if they see it. Use your tactical behind cover so other teams can’t see you use your ability from far away.
Build Your Team Around Bloodhound
Bloodhound has excellent synergy with Bangalore and Caustic. You can see through smoke and Nox gas during your ultimate which gives you a massive advantage in fights.